Black Widow is a 2019 superhero film that is the seventh installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Reloaded, and the first to feature Black Widow, and also the first ever solo film to feature the character. The film also introduces Hawkeye in the MCUR.
The movie begins with a series of newspaper articles from the late 80's, detailing Natasha Romanova's performance of Swan Lake with Maxim Baronev, her engagement to Red Army fighter pilot ace Captain Alexei Shostakov, Shostakov's tragic death during the Soviet-Afghan War, and her enlistment in the KGB. It then shifts to a montage of Natasha assassinating various targets, among them being what appears to be a high-ranking U.S. diplomat, who, in his last breaths, asks who she is. Natasha replies by saying, "I am...the Black Widow."
It skips to 1990, the penultimate year of the Soviet Union's existence, where her handler, Ivan Petrovich, is praising her as "Russia's greatest assassin", and is giving her her most important mission yet: to assassinate U.S. President George H.W. Bush before he attends a conference with Mikhail Gorbachev in Helsinki.
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as The Black Widow / Natasha Romanova / Natalie Rushman
- Ryan Kwanten as Hawkeye / Clint Barton
- Tom Selleck as Ivan Petrovich
- Matthew Fox as Red Guardian / Alexei Shostakov
- Eric Roberts as Aleksander Lukin
- Brian Cox as General Yuri Brushov
- Chow Yun-fat as Colonel Ling
- Peter Krause as Damon Dran
- Ron Dean as Boris Yeltsin
- Dann Florek as Mikhail Gorbachev
- Barry Bostwick as George H.W. Bush
- Bruce Boxleitner as Bill Clinton
- Monica Bellucci as Mary Parker
- Michael Shanks as Richard Parker
- Harrison Ford as Nick Fury
Additionally, Drew Roy portrays "Bucky" Barnes, now as the Winter Soldier, in suspended-animation, during the mid-credits scene. Russian ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov also has an uncredited cameo as Maxim Baronev, a fictionalized version of himself.